Skip to main content

Text Resize

Sunday May 24, 2015

Savvy Living

Savvy Senior

Home Improvement Assistance Programs

Do you know of any financial assistance programs or other resources that can help seniors with home improvement projects? I would like to help my 86-year-old father make a few modifications to his house so he can live there as long as possible, but money is very tight.

There are a number of programs available that can help seniors with home repairs and improvement projects for aging-in-place, but what is available to your dad will depend on his financial situation and where he lives. Here are several options to explore.

Medicaid Waivers: If your dad is low-income and eligible for Medicaid, most states have Medicaid Home and Community Based Services waivers that provide financial assistance to help seniors avoid nursing homes and remain living at home. Many of the waivers pay for home modifications to increase a person's ability to live independently. Each state has different waivers with different eligibility requirements and benefits. Contact your Medicaid office (see for more information.

State and Local Programs: Some states and local governments have financial assistance programs, often called "nursing home diversion programs" or "deferred payment loans" that are not funded by Medicaid. These programs may include grants, loans or a combination that will help pay for modifications enabling low to moderate income elderly and disabled persons to remain living at home. Covered modifications typically include accessibility improvements such as wheelchair ramps, handrails and grab bars. Some assistance may be used for home improvements like roofing, heating, cooling, insulation, weather-stripping and storm windows.

To find a program in your dad's area, contact the city or county housing authority, the local Area Aging Agency (call 800-677-1116 for contact information) or the state housing finance agency (

Federal Programs: The Department of Housing and Urban Development offers HUD Home Improvement Loans, which are HUD insured loans made by private lenders for home improvement and building projects. Contact a HUD approved counseling agency in your area (800-569-4287) to learn more.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture has a Rural Development program that provides grants and loans to low-income, elderly or disabled, rural homeowners for home repairs and improvements. Your local USDA service center ( can give you more information.

Veteran Benefits: If your dad is a veteran with a disability, the VA provides grants like the SAH, SHA and HISA grants that will pay for home modifications. See for details and eligibility requirements.

Another possibility that's available to veterans enrolled in the Medical Benefits Package is Veterans-Directed Home and Community Based Services. This program provides veterans who need help with daily living activities with financial assistance to help them remain living in their homes and provides them with some discretion to use those funds. To learn more see or call 800-827-1000.

Nonprofit Organizations: Depending on where your dad lives, he may also be able to get home repair and modification services through the national, nonprofit organization Rebuilding Together (, 800-473-4229). They provide services to low-income seniors, veterans and military families, families with children, people living with disabilities and victims of disaster.

You should also check with the Area Aging Agency to see if any other local organizations that offer volunteer home modification help low-income seniors.

Savvy Living is written by Jim Miller, a regular contributor to the NBC Today Show and author of "The Savvy Living” book. Any links in this article are offered as a service and there is no endorsement of any product. These articles are offered as a helpful and informative service to our friends and may not always reflect this organization’s official position on some topics. Jim invites you to send your senior questions to: Savvy Living, P.O. Box 5443, Norman, OK 73070.

Published May 22, 2015

Previous Articles

How to Recognize Stroke Symptoms and What to Do

How to Search for Lost Pension Money

Understanding Medicare's Enrollment Rules

Medication Management Tools

Driving Safely with Dementia and Knowing When to Quit